Teacher, 100, has no plans to quit Ashburn school
January 25, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicagoan Olivia Neubauer started teaching at Pullman Tech High School in 1935. Seventy-seven years later, she's still at it.
Neubauer, 99, teaches at Ashburn Lutheran School on West 83rd Street. The private school stressed the basics, like reading, which starts in prekindergarten. Neubauer, who will turn 100 on March 11, is a reading teacher.
"My son keeps saying, 'Mom when are you going to quit?' I say the Lord will tell me when to quit," Neubauer said.
Neubauer works now almost on a one-to-one basis. When she started her career 77 years ago, the student to teacher ratio was much different.
"Oh, I don't know I had 200 kids at Pullman Tech all the time. Two hundred girls-- first, second, third year of high school," Neubauer said.
In 1935 she was teaching physical education. Now it's all reading and she's here five days a week from 6 a.m. to noon. She can't get enough of it.
"I just love it. It's really great. The kids are really good kids," Neubauer said.
"She's an excellent teacher. All her kindergarten boys and girls can read well mid-year at Christmas time. They're fluent readers by then," Pastor Elizabeth Hiller, Ashburn Lutheran School, said.
Neubauer helped found Ashburn Lutheran in 1964 and has been a force ever since.
She said her secret to longevity is simple ... Genes. Her mom lived to 100, her grandmother to 96, and two cousins made it to 101.
mathie, frank mathie
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 44 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 7 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 30 min ago
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont 17 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Philly Airport
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
30 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
44 min ago
- 2014 International Home + Housewares Show
48 min ago