Doctor: Kirk 'upgraded to fair condition'
January 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- U.S. Senator Mark Kirk was upgraded to fair condition on Monday by his doctors at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
The Republican has been hospitalized for more than a week after suffering a stroke and undergoing surgery to remove part of his skull to relieve pressure on his brain.
Dr. Richard Fessler, MD, PhD, released a written statement, "Senator Kirk's recovery is continuing. He is alert, talking and responding well to questions. He has been upgraded to fair condition and we are very pleased with his progress."
Kirk's road to recovery will be long, according to Dr. Fessler. Doctors said he does not appear to have lost any of his cognitive skills but may not recover all of his physical capabilities on his left side.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking