More than 30 shot in Chicago over weekend
May 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It has been a violent holiday weekend across the city. At least six people are dead, and more than 30 were hurt in shootings.
In one instance, a 19-year-old man was shot in the head and stomach in the 2400-block of W. Roosevelt Road. He died later at a hospital.
A party bus had stopped in the neighborhood to let people into a bar. Less than an hour later, shots were fired.
Two other men were injured. An 18-year-old man was shot in the leg, and a 28-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to the chest. Both were hospitalized Sunday.
"Last year at the end of May, Chicago was down 27 homicides from the year before. This year as of the 13th of May, we're up 67 homicides. So I think you have to look at what's changed over the years," said former Chicago Police superintendent and ABC 7 security expert Jody Weis. "And I think it's time for the police department to look at their strategies. Are they working out?"
No one was in custody for that Roosevelt Road shooting later Sunday.
A short distance away, police found two people shot inside an SUV in the 700-block of S. Western Avenue.
Police say the vehicle was involved in a crash.
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS 7 min ago
- Employees, customers prepare for Dominick's final days 17 min ago
- Midlothian's The Tint Shop burglarized 3 times in 1 night 56 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013 28 min ago
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- Me You & Her raises money for Chicago food banks
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos