More than 30 shot in Chicago over weekend
May 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It has been a violent holiday weekend across the city. At least six people are dead, and more than 30 were hurt in shootings.
In one instance, a 19-year-old man was shot in the head and stomach in the 2400-block of W. Roosevelt Road. He died later at a hospital.
A party bus had stopped in the neighborhood to let people into a bar. Less than an hour later, shots were fired.
Two other men were injured. An 18-year-old man was shot in the leg, and a 28-year-old man suffered a gunshot wound to the chest. Both were hospitalized Sunday.
"Last year at the end of May, Chicago was down 27 homicides from the year before. This year as of the 13th of May, we're up 67 homicides. So I think you have to look at what's changed over the years," said former Chicago Police superintendent and ABC 7 security expert Jody Weis. "And I think it's time for the police department to look at their strategies. Are they working out?"
No one was in custody for that Roosevelt Road shooting later Sunday.
A short distance away, police found two people shot inside an SUV in the 700-block of S. Western Avenue.
Police say the vehicle was involved in a crash.
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 13 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
54 min ago