Buffalo Grove fire started by fireworks
July 8, 2012 (BUFFALO GROVE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A massive brush fire in northwest suburban Buffalo Grove was started by someone playing with fireworks, police said.
Firefighters from 25 departments were called to the area near Aptakisic and Buffalo Grove roads. Officials said the fire was fuled by the dry conditions and fast winds.
The fire spread to nearby electricial lines and knocked out services to 2,400 ComEd customers and caused $150,000 worth of damages to the lines and equipment. ComEd said services in the area have been restored.
Police arrested and charged 20-year-old Gabriel Horwich for starting the fire.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains