Buffalo Grove fire started by fireworks
July 8, 2012 (BUFFALO GROVE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A massive brush fire in northwest suburban Buffalo Grove was started by someone playing with fireworks, police said.
Firefighters from 25 departments were called to the area near Aptakisic and Buffalo Grove roads. Officials said the fire was fuled by the dry conditions and fast winds.
The fire spread to nearby electricial lines and knocked out services to 2,400 ComEd customers and caused $150,000 worth of damages to the lines and equipment. ComEd said services in the area have been restored.
Police arrested and charged 20-year-old Gabriel Horwich for starting the fire.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie residents 44 min ago
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 42 min ago
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood 32 min ago
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security 14 min ago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
42 min ago