Buffalo Grove fire started by fireworks
July 8, 2012 (BUFFALO GROVE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A massive brush fire in northwest suburban Buffalo Grove was started by someone playing with fireworks, police said.
Firefighters from 25 departments were called to the area near Aptakisic and Buffalo Grove roads. Officials said the fire was fuled by the dry conditions and fast winds.
The fire spread to nearby electricial lines and knocked out services to 2,400 ComEd customers and caused $150,000 worth of damages to the lines and equipment. ComEd said services in the area have been restored.
Police arrested and charged 20-year-old Gabriel Horwich for starting the fire.
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- Video: Tonight @ 10 PM: Extreme Bridal Makeovers
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune will air at 2:05 a.m.
- Schaumburg couple survived Oklahoma tornado
- Roseland Hospital to lay off 68
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos