Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer for Chicagoans
September 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer, and Chicagoans made the most of the symbolic day.
Chicagoans celebrated the contributions of American workers by marching in the streets.
The Wellington Oakdale Old Glory Marching Society, known as WOOGMS, held its 49th annual parade.
"The same idea has been around from the beginning, everyone marches, nobody watches and the kids just love to come out," said Tony Weismann, the parade's marshall.
Other Chicagoans spent the day relaxing at the beach. For Catrell Bogan and his friends, Labor Day meant the last taste of summer before school begins.
"It's the last day. Make it fun and exciting before we go back to school," said Bogan.
Likewise, families spent Labor Day outdoors before cooler temperatures arrive.
"We're going out to the water for a little bit. The kids are building sand castles. We're grilling out and enjoying the day," said Neil Johnson.
After 10 years, the Mora family still chooses to spend the Labor Day holiday in the same spot every year-- the 31st Street Beach.
"It's the playgrounds, the beach, everything, the grass," said Yesica Mora. "It's a little bit of shade and a nice beach. They just redid it. It's great."
With the newly opened harbor and areas to picnic, it's no wonder families are flocking here to enjoy the city views.
local, diane pathieu
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap