Early voting time running out as election nears
November 1, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With only five days left until the election, voters are being alerted to make sure they are registered and know where to cast their ballot.
In addition, time is running out if you want to take advantage of early voting.
Interest remains high in the 2012 presidential election and while local election officials say the number of those voting early rivals the numbers that were compiled in 2008, they want to make sure that the voters who are still undecided and are going to the polls on Nov. 6 are indeed prepared to vote.
Long lines and at least a two-hour wait did little to deter voters at a West Side early voting site.
"Every day I've been coming down here but the lines have been so long until I can't stand in the line," said Bertha Robinson.
Local election official say Robinson is among those residents they predict will be responsible for a record voter turnout that could rival 2008.
"We've had tremendous participation by voters so far in early voting," said Chicago Board of Elections' Langdon Neal. "We see great interest in this election, we expect a heavy turnout.
With the 2012 presidential election just days away, potential voters are also being reminded to make sure they are actually eligible to cast a ballot, especially if they have moved or changed addresses.
There are only two days remaining for grace period voting.
And because new ward and precinct lines are in effect, many could be voting at new polling places.
"Send us a text from your smartphone, your tablet, 312-361-8046, and verify your polling place," Neal said.
Election officials also say that absentee voting is up, as well. They expect high turnout
Those who need more information about making sure they get in under the grace period to make sure their registration is right can go to their web site, www.chicagoelections.com
politics, evelyn holmes
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 44 min ago
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day 14 min ago
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
44 min ago
- Happy Ditka Day! 'Da Coach' jersey retired...
7 min ago