New 5000-series rail cars debut on CTA Red Line
November 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some CTA Red Line riders traveled on board new 5000-series rail cars Tuesday.
Two of the new eight-car trains are now part of the Red Line fleet. Transit officials say they'll continue to add more trains until eventually the entire Red Line fleet is replaced. The new cars are replacing the 35-year-old rail cars that run on the Red Line now.
The new cars feature aisle-facing seats, state-of-the-art technology that should make for a smoother acceleration and braking and LED displays.
The new rail cars are already running on the Pink and Green lines. They are part of a nearly $1.2 billion CTA effort to add more than 700 cars.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 36 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears 23 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death 44 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
1 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
36 min ago