New 5000-series rail cars debut on CTA Red Line
November 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some CTA Red Line riders traveled on board new 5000-series rail cars Tuesday.
Two of the new eight-car trains are now part of the Red Line fleet. Transit officials say they'll continue to add more trains until eventually the entire Red Line fleet is replaced. The new cars are replacing the 35-year-old rail cars that run on the Red Line now.
The new cars feature aisle-facing seats, state-of-the-art technology that should make for a smoother acceleration and braking and LED displays.
The new rail cars are already running on the Pink and Green lines. They are part of a nearly $1.2 billion CTA effort to add more than 700 cars.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- Deer on tracks halts Blue Line service temporarily
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Joliet man facing child porn charges
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- Robbie Rogers heading to Galaxy as league's 1st openly gay...
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos