Rick Ross assassination attempt might have links to Gangster Disciples
January 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- There is no shortage of suspects in Monday's assassination attempt on well-known rap star Rick Ross. And they all lead back to Chicago.
Ross survived a shooting ambush in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Monday morning.
The worst kept secret in the rap world has been a dispute between Ross and the Chicago-based Gangster Disciples. Ross was apparently targeted by gang leaders after he used some of their signs, symbols and logos without paying them the required fees.
Over the past few months, gang members have posted video death threats against the rapper on YouTube. Monday, a hit squad opened fire on Ross in South Florida.
There was a spray of gunfire just before daybreak on the silver Rolls Royce being driven by rapper Rick Ross, stage name for William L. Roberts.
"Nine or 10 shots, rapid fire," said a witness. "AK-47 or pretty large rifle, it was definitely a rifle."
Fort Lauderdale police tell the I-Team that they cannot confirm nor dismiss whether the allege threats to the rap star are legitimate but that detectives are examining the forensic evidence.
Despite all the bullets, rapper Ross, celebrating his 37th birthday Monday, was not hurt and neither was his girlfriend in the car, which crashed into an apartment.
Videos claiming to have been posted by Gangster Disciple members in cities across the U.S. all say that the rapper needs to pay the gang or he will be killed.
Ross has responded to the gang threats with his own Internet statements and in interviews.
Authorities in South Florida say the motive for the attack is unclear.
iteam, chuck goudie
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD