Driver charged in crash that killed mom, daughter in Merchantville
MERCHANTVILLE, N.J. - February 6, 2013 -- A Pennsauken man has been charged in connection with a high-speed crash in Merchantville, New Jersey, that killed a mother and daughter.
Keith Johnson, 31, was charged on Wednesday with two counts of Death by Auto and a count of Aggravated Assault.
Johnson is still being treated at Cooper University Hospital in Camden, recovering from injuries sustained in the crash, but will be taken into custody upon his release.
Anada Medina, 36, and Stephanie Garcia, 18, both of Cherry Hill, were killed in the crash on the afternoon of January 31st.
It happened at 3:40 p.m. at Chapel Avenue and Russell Avenue, right in front of the Merchantville Elementary School.
According to investigators, the mother and daughter were in a Honda Odyssey minivan when the vehicle was hit head-on by a Dodge Durango.
The Durango, driven by Johnson, was allegedly travelling up to 100 mph in a 25 mph zone, the prosecutor's office said.
Police say he skipped a traffic circle entirely and drove directly into oncoming traffic.
A female passenger in Johnson's vehicle was also hospitalized following the wreck.
The prosecutor's office said an investigation into the crash is ongoing and authorities are awaiting the results of blood and urine tests from Johnson, among other evidence. Further charges are being considered.
new jersey, camden county, accident, local/state
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1 42 min ago
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released 50 min ago
- Barrington meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting' 7 min ago
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog 19 min ago
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
17 min ago
abc7chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos