Chicago murder rate improving? 14 murders in February 2013
March 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago murder rates were cut in half for the month of February when compared to the same month in 2012.
"There is a lot of credit to go out. The fact is it is one month. That's progress, it is not victory in any way shape or form- but it is not failure," Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said. Fourteen murders were recorded in February 2013, compared to 28 murders in February 2012. Supt. McCarthy isn't attributing the encouraging stats to any one thing.
"It has to do with our strategies, it has to do with our deployment it has to do with our over- time. It has to do with quality of life, enforcement. One of the things that I say constantly is the fact that it is not one thing we do it is everything we do," Supt. McCarthy said.
February's 14 murders were the fewest in Chicago for a month since 1957.
In recent months, Chicago has become the focus of the national gun violence debate. In the month of January, the city counted 43 murders; making it the bloodiest January in a decade.
In January, a visit from the president highlighted the issue after 15-year-old honor roll student Hadiya Pendleton was shot and killed on the South Side. Her father says the numbers are promising, but he's not getting his hopes up.
Some experts believe that President Obama's visit to Chicago to address violence may have helped lower the murder rate significantly in February.
Having the president and first lady here talking about violence brought the issue to a higher level of discourse than there's ever been in the city," Loyola University Chicago Professor Arthur Lurigio said.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 22 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby 40 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 26 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school 37 min ago
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs 48 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice 7 min ago
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts 17 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
26 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to...
37 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
22 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim...
7 min ago