Who Knew? Everyday Solutions to Everyday Problems
March 2, 2013 (WLS) -- Pet hair everywhere, lipstick on your glass, snow stuck to your shovel - wouldn't it be great if there were simple remedies for these problems?
There are, and you already have them at home! One man who's an expert on this is Bruce Lubin, author of "Who Knew? 10,001 Easy Solutions to Everyday Problems" (www.whoknewbooks.com) He joined us in our ABC7 studio to show us a few examples of solving everyday issues.
Bruce's Tips: 1. How to clean tarnished silver with toothpaste
Place white (non-gel) toothpaste on a soft cloth and use it to rub solid silver (not silver plate).
Rinse it off gently.
Don't use whitening toothpaste - it can damage the surface.
2. How to use salt to remove lipstick on glasses
Rub a little salt over the stain to remove a pretty imprint on the side of the glass, then wash as usual.
3. How to easily remove pet hair
Put on rubber kitchen gloves or surgical latex gloves, then wipe the hair into a pile with your hand.
Discard it, and then repeat the process.
After you've gotten most of the hair, take a sheet of fabric softener from the laundry room, and use it to pick up the rest-the hair will be naturally attracted to it.
When that's done, use a vacuum cleaner to add a finishing touch.
4. How to clean your hands after working with garlic/onion
Remove strong food smells from your hands by running them under cold water while rubbing them against the side of a stainless steel bowl or even with a stainless steel spoon.
Then just rinse with soap and water.
5. How to use olive oil spray to help with shoveling (**one of the classic favorite tips)
Before going out to shovel snow, coat the blade of your snow shovel with cooking spray.
That way the snow and ice will slide right off the shovel instead of sticking to it.
This works on both plastic and metal shovels.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking