'Jitney' cab driver shot to death in Princeton Park area
March 19, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A ''jitney'' cab driver has died four days after he was shot during a robbery.
The driver was shot on Thursday in Chicago's Princeton Park neighborhood on the South Side. Police say he was driving an unlicensed taxi when he was robbed.
Police say the unlicensed cab driver picked up the two suspects at the intersection of West 85th Street and South Parnell Avenue. Apparently, they didn't want a ride--they wanted to rob the driver, 48-year-old Edwin Obazuaye.
Investigators say, on Thursday evening, the male suspects got into Obazuaye's unmarked cab and demanded his possessions. At least one of the robbers started shooting in the vicinity of 91st and South Lafayette, striking the "jitney" cab driver in the head and back.
Obazuaye was hospitalized for four days before he died Monday night.
Police say the two suspects fled on foot after the shooting. It is unclear what they stole. Regardless, those men are now wanted for murder.
local, jason knowles
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court to consider Blagojevich transcripts 13 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap 18 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos