Jack Schaap, ex-pastor of megachurch, gets 12 years for teen sex
March 20, 2013 (HAMMOND, Ind.) (WLS) -- A former Hammond, Indiana pastor was sentenced to 12 years in prison Wednesday for having sex with a 17-year-old girl who attended his church.
A 10-year-sentence was recommended by both sides but the federal judge went with a longer sentence in this case.
The courtroom for his sentencing was full and dozens more waited outside while the hearing took place. Many former and current church members were there to witness Schaap's sentencing.
Schaap's family left federal court without commenting.
Former church member Nadine Salgado says she left the church and is concerned about the victim.
"It breaks my heart," she said. "He was my pastor too but I knew the reason I left was a good reason."
Jack Schaap admitted he had a sexual relationship with the underage girl.
"It's important to him that the congregation of his church or his former church understands that the buck stopped with him," Schaap family friend Paul Stracci said. "And the church and its congregation begin healing today."
The church, which is just blocks from the courthouse, has a new pastor.
A spokesman for the church said in part, "We believe that the justice system was and is fair. We are also glad that our church family can now move beyond this situation and can continue the healing process."
Some members still struggle with the crimes with which Cchaap was convicted and now sentenced.
"It almost seems unbelievable because that is just not him at all," church member Bonnee Reay said. "It's like a nightmare."
Originally Schaap was counseling the girl but the relationship resulted in inappropriate conduct and sometimes taking the girl out of Indiana.
In letters submitted to the court, it was revealed that the victim and her family continue to struggle with the impact of the abuse.
local, leah hope
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 59 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 15 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 6 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 7 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Russia, Crimean politicians discuss referendum
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
34 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
59 min ago