CPS parents protest Chicago school closings
March 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Yolanda Harris wants Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett to visit Dumas Elementary, one of the 54 CPS schools slated to close.
DOCUMENT: List of 54 schools to close
"I want her to come and visit Dumas. I challenge her to come. Come on out, you're making a big mistake," Harris said.
Harris and other parents of students at Dumas Elementary School, located at 6650 South Ellis Ave., are rallying in support of their school and the teachers who will lose their jobs. Dumas was labeled one of the "underperforming schools" by CPS.
"I do want to fight. It's a lot. I don't want to just give in. We definitely should fight," Tanyana Donaldson, mom, said.
"I was shocked, because I didn't think the school would be closing because of all the technology we have," sixth-grader Taylor Butler said.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Byrd-Bennett say the closures are necessary because too many buildings are half-empty. They say money being spent to keep underused schools open could be better used to educate students elsewhere as the district deals with a $1 billion budget deficit.
Under the CPS plan, Dumas will close, and its students will merge with Wadsworth Elementary to create one school. That one school, which will be called Wadsworth, will be housed at the current Dumas building.
That means teachers and staff at Dumas are out.
"I just want to cry. I've been here four years. I love every one of these kids as if they're my own," Stacie Beach, counselor/case manager at Dumas, said.
A CPS spokesperson said staff of closed schools will be placed in a pool and potentially moved to other locations. Yolanda Harris, who has four children at Dumas, wants Byrd-Bennett to visit Dumas.
"I want her to come and visit Dumas. I want her to see the staff. I want her to see the staff with the children. That is what I want her to do," Yolanda Harris, parent, said.
CPS plans to hold public hearings in the next few months.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 3 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 50 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 35 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 12 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 19 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 11 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
3 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
11 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
35 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos