Survey: Chicago has highest gas prices in U.S.
March 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Will gas prices soar as we head into the busy driving season? One survey says Chicago has the highest rates in the country.
The Lundberg Survey found gas prices down 3 cents nationally in the last two weeks.
The survey also says Chicago has the highest gas rate, at $4.10 per gallon.
"Even though they say the prices are dropping it doesn't seem that way. I'm paying a lot," said Alvin Hill.
Hill is a therapist who travels to 10 to 20 locations each week. He says the cost of gas is cutting into his income.
On Monday, Hill decided to fill his tank only halfway.
While Chicago is usually among the most expensive cities for gas, the costs are much lower prices than a year ago, according to gasbuddy.com.
"Prices are at $4.07 which, believe it or not, is 50 cents lower than it was a year ago today. And a year ago today Chicago was in the top due to unique refining issues," said Patrick Dehaan, senior petroleum analyst for gasbuddy.com
Dehaan says he believes prices this spring and summer will be lower than last year, but there could be some fluctuation as local refineries do maintenance and the BP refinery completes its renovations in Whiting.
"The market is expecting that facility to be open in the summer if there are problems that significantly delay the opening you can bet there will be some sort of increase in price," said Dehaan.
For now, the trend appears to be going down- although slightly.
Nicky Von Kondrat says she sees the bigger global picture as she fills up her SUV with $70 in gas.
"We're paying pennies to the gallon on what the rest of the world pays for gas and it would nudge us into more environmental friendly action," she said.
The study reported that the lowest gas prices are seen in Montana, at $3.33 per gallon.
And gasbuddy.com reports higher prices in California and Hawaii.
local, leah hope
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 50 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- What electronics will be under your tree? 6 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- EB 80/94 closed at Cline by multi-vehicle crash 4 min ago
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters 48 min ago
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- Skokie fire lights up sky 37 min ago
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
40 min ago
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
50 min ago
- What electronics will be under your tree?
6 min ago