Charles Oliver, Woodstock man charged in 5 sexual assaults, appears in bond court
March 26, 2013 (WOODSTOCK, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Woodstock man charged with raping women he met through Craigslist appeared in bond court Tuesday.
A Woodstock man charged with raping women he met through Craigslist appeared in bond court Tuesday.
Charles Oliver has been charged in five attacks and police are looking for more potential victims.
Oliver's neighbor Jeff Varys said there was a S.W.A.T. team, police and a big bang police served a search warrant on Oliver's home about two months ago. Oliver, 44, had just been charged with sexually assaulting two women inside his house after meeting them on Craigslist.
Two arrests later, the case has gotten even more bizarre.
In McHenry County Court Monday prosecutors outlined the story of a man who frequently solicits escorts on Cragslist's personal ads and videotapes hundreds of encounters.
While many of these encounters appear consensual, there are now five women total who have come forward stating he attacked them and from the physical evidence recovered at the home so far there could be at least twenty more, prosecutors said.
They were women who allegedly answered ads for paid sexual encounters only to find themselves tied-up, taunted, photographed and brutalized.
Women who police say lead a high-risk lifestyle and paid a price.
"It's hard for these women to come forward because they're ashamed, embarrassed. It's almost a perfect crime," Cook County Sheriff's Department Commander Michael Anton said.
Anton has investigated the internet's underbelly for years.
He says Oliver's case is extreme.
Police said they found thousands of images of the sex acts and alleged crimes. They were stored on computers, cameras and DVDs.
Also allegedly found in the home: Glasses with a hidden camera, handguns and rifles.
Next-door neighbor Julie Randecker knows one of the victims.
"She thought she was going to a modeling shoot. He got her into the car, put a plastic bag over her head and then brought her here," Randecker said.
During the bond hearing, prosecutors claimed Oliver would first lock the women in his basement, then take them to his bedroom, where he would videotape them as he forced them to have sex.
He'd later allegedly take pictures "for his collection" as he called it. He copied their IDs and threatened them if they called police, authorities said.
"She hesitated for quite some time. He texted her often, not to tell, not to tell," Randecker said.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 34 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 35 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 26 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 11 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
26 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
34 min ago