Where does Illinois stand on same-sex marriage?
March 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Flipping through a photo book of their civil union last year, Vernita Gray and Pat Ewert hope the next photo album is from their marriage.
Those marriage benefits include social security if a partner dies or hospital visitation rights. Gray is living with bone cancer, so those issues hit home.
"Part of the coming out process is hey, I'm an American citizen. I pay taxes, social security. I want to be treated like every other American citizen. That is marriage," Gray said.
Gray has been a gay activist since the 1960s. Her next big challenge is convincing state lawmakers to pass the same sex marriage bill. While it has passed in the Senate, it doesn't quite have the votes in the House.
"The votes are just about there, we have a couple people who are still thinking, but when we put it up we will win," State Rep. Greg Harris, bill sponsor, said.
Harris faces strong opposition from a group of clergy. Bishop Larry Trotter and other African American ministers are aligning themselves with other denominations to lobby hard against the bill.
"Even if we lost the fight, it needs to be on the record we spoke up for what we believe," Bishop Trotter said.
Trotter believes gay marriage is out of line with what is taught in scripture. For Gray and Ewert, the bill is about equality and not religion
"For those in our country who don't want gay/lesbian marriage, they don't have to get one," Gray said.
local, sarah schulte
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side 41 min ago
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson 56 min ago
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting 44 min ago
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- Indiana schools delayed by cold snap
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case