Search suspended for missing Peru woman
April 23, 2013 (LaSALLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- The search for a woman believed swept away by floodwaters along the Illinois River near LaSalle has been called off for now.
Robert Frazier of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources tells ABC7 his department's searches have found no sign of Nancy Greening.
Frazier said the roadway is still closed south of LaSalle and now they must wait until flood waters recede before continuing their search. They hope to do that later this week.
Greening was last seen Friday afternoon from a helicopter. She was standing outside her vehicle on a flooded roadway near the river. That roadway, Route 351, had been barricaded off to all traffic by the Ill. Dept. of Transportation 13 hours earlier. Authorities say they believe Greening drove around the barricades then became stranded.
Frazier has been with the DNR for more than 23 years and says LaSalle County has set records for flooding this past week. Frazier says the real difference in the flooding this past week was that it came so much faster than normal, and waters rose more quickly than anyone expected.
Greening is from Peru, Ill., and was last seen last Friday near her van in knee-high flood waters.
Family members say Greening's van is visible in a picture captured by a photographer with the LaSalle News Tribune.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 20 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Employees, customers prepare Dominick's final days 34 min ago
- Midlothian store allegedly burglarized 3 times in 1 night 26 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop...
20 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos