Jewelry store owner chases thief, thrown from hood of getaway car in Delaware
NEWARK, Del. - April 30, 2013 -- A 44-year-old jewelry store owner is recovering after chasing down a bandit, jumping on the hood of the man's SUV and getting thrown to the ground as he sped away.
It happened before 3:00 p.m. Saturday Newark, Delaware.
Police say a man walked into Anemoni Jewelers at the Shops at Louviers on Paper Mill Road and asked to look at several pieces of jewelry.
The owner took the pieces out of the display case. After looking at the jewelry for several minutes the man grabbed the jewelry and fled the store on foot.
The owner ran after him.
Police say he chased the thief behind the shopping center into the Woods of Louviers development. When the suspect jumped into a Ford Explorer at Longwood Lane and Hagley Court, the store owner jumped onto the hood and held on until the SUV hit a curb, throwing the him to the ground. The thief sped away.
The owner called police and was taken to Christiana Hospital to be treated for a broken hand.
Newark Police are looking for a dark skinned black male, 25 - 35 years old, 5'8" to 6' tall with a muscular build, clean shaven with short cropped hair. He was wearing a tan striped sweater and tan pants. His image was captured by surveillance cameras in the store.
The getaway vehicle is described as a tan Ford Explorer, possibly with Maryland tags and damage to the front windshield wiper assembly.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Fred Nelson at 302-366-7110 ext. 136 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can send an anonymous text message tip by texting 302NPD and your message to TIP411. Information can also be provided anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333 or via the internet at www.tipsubmit.com where a reward may be available.
delaware, robbery, new castle county, newark, local/state
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day 42 min ago
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- Happy Ditka Day! 'Da Coach' jersey retired...
35 min ago