Lindblom High School student dies of bacterial meningitis
May 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 16-year-old student at Lindblom Math & Science Academy High School has died from a non-contagious form of bacterial meningitis, according to a press release issued by Chicago Public Schools.
Sixteen-year-old Savon Smith was found dead at home on Monday morning by his mother. She told ABC7 Chicago it all started with a headache on Saturday.
"He wasn't really eating, and then he slept most of the day Sunday, still not feeling well. He didn't go to church, He just wasn't feeling well. And I woke him up for school Monday morning, and he wouldn't wake up," said mother Nicole Smith. CPS says that Lindblom will be closed on Wednesday, and officials will conduct a thorough review and cleaning of the school.
CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett issued the following statement on Tuesday:
"We were deeply saddened to learn that a 16-year-old student at Lindblom Math & Science Academy High School passed away yesterday from a non-contagious form of bacterial meningitis. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this difficult time. There is no immediate health risk to students or staff, but out of an abundance of caution we decided to close the school tomorrow."
There are also no other known or reported cases of meningitis at Lindblom at this time.
However, CPS is advising parents and students to seek medical attention if their child develops the following symptoms: a sudden onset of fever, headache, and/or stiff neck. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light, and an altered mental status/confusion.
Smith says her son had only a headache and no other symptoms, and was strong, healthy and active in the martial arts and soccer teams.
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen 31 min ago
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- ABC7 to Go Digital Newscast April 18, 2014
37 min ago