Shot Orland Park homeowner chases robbers in car
May 10, 2013 (ORLAND PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- A south suburban man was shot three times during an attempted home invasion, but despite his wounds he tried to chase down the suspects.
Orland Park police are looking for 27-year-old Anthony M. Espinoza, of Crown Point, Indiana, who they allege was driving the getaway vehicle. The vehicle has since been recovered in Gary, Indiana.
Police say that the Espinoza should be considered armed and dangerous. No suspects are in custody yet.It started as a home invasion and robbery, but things quickly turned violent. The victim, who was shot three times, managed to chase after the suspects.
Police say two men broke into the house at around 3 o'clock Friday morning to rob the family inside. The suspects allegedly stole jewelry and money.
The man inside decided to fight back and scuffled with the robbers. They opened fire, shooting him three times, in the hand, shoulder and leg, and then took off. He got in his van and followed their grey PT Cruiser.
"He was an angry man that this took place and he decided to pursue and identify them if he could and I believe he said he was going to ram their vehicle," said Orland Park Police Chief Tim McCarthy.
The chase between the suspects and victim went on for miles. The suspects kept shooting at the man, who eventually lost sight of the getaway car when the driver jumped on I-80. The men are still on the loose.
"Absolutely armed and dangerous. Notify local authorities immediately," McCarthy said.
Neighbors were notified about the incident when police distributed community alert flyers around the home.
"I don't expect it here in this area because it's nice and quiet and peaceful," said neighbor Stanley Duibas. "That's why I moved from Chicago here"
"I was glad I had my alarm on is what I was thinking at the time to be honest. That's the first thing I was thinking," said neighbor Dave Pygon.
Orland Park police say they believe the victim was targeted. He is a business owner who customized cars.
Five people were home at the time of the home invasion and robbery, including two young children. Nobody else was injured.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 17 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 18 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way 12 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman 11 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
18 min ago