2 charged in attempted bank robbery after shootout with FBI
May 11, 2013 (RICHMOND, Ill.) (WLS) -- Two men are charged with attempted bank robbery after exchanging fire with FBI agents at the Associated Bank in Richmond, Ill.
Aaron Russell, 40, of Orland Hills and Roberto Favela, 34, of Chicago got into a shootout with federal agents on Friday. The FBI had been investigating the men in connection with a string of robberies at jewelry stores and a bank holdup when agents tracked the men to the bank, officials said.
When agents surrounded the suspects' cars in Richmond, one of the drivers allegedly rammed an agent's vehicle. Officials say that's when the officer shot and killed the Tony Starnes, 45, of Chicago.
Police say Russell was wearing gloves and a face mask when he was removed from his vehicle, which had been reported stolen. Favela was taken into custody at the same time. He was in a second car.
local, eric horng
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 52 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 23 min ago
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 43 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
52 min ago