Driver dead after car crashes into home on South Side
June 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The driver of a car that crashed into a home Thursday morning is dead, Chicago Fire Department officials said.
The accident happened at 87th Street and Michigan Avenue on Chicago's South Side.
Early Thursday morning, heavy police activity and emergency response teams could be seen as Chopper 7 HD flew over the area.
The car, which may have been traveling at a high rate of speed, hit the building sideways. A witness told police the vehicle lost control while turning onto 87th Street from Indiana.
Officials declared the scene a level 1 hazmat and People's Gas was called to secure a ruptured gas line.
ABC7 Traffic Reporter Roz Varon said 87th Street was blocked between the Dan Ryan and Indiana Avenue as officials worked the scene. Traffic was detoured as a result, but roads have since opened.
The victim's name has not been released. No one else was hurt in the accident, according to authorities.
local, roz varon
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash 21 min ago
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 31 min ago
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77