IBM layoffs coming, could be as many as 8,000
June 13, 2013 (RALEIGH, N.C.) (WLS) -- Layoff notices were going out to thousands of IBM employees worldwide Wednesday.
Rumors swirled in North Carolina and Vermont, states expected to feel significant impact from the notices.
The company, one of the original tenants in Research Triangle Park, brings big business to the Raleigh-Durham, N.C., area. Right now, it is not known exactly how many layoffs will happen there.
IBM says it won't comment on reports of layoffs at its facilities in Vermont and elsewhere. State officials said Wednesday that IBM had notified them that a national reorganization would result in job losses in Vermont.
Based on a cost-cutting figure given by IBM earlier this year, some major business publications are reporting the number could be 6,000 to 8,000 worldwide. IBM is tight lipped.
A spokesperson for the IBM operation in RTP would only resend WTVD-TV in Raleigh a company statement that says in a highly competitive environment some level of workforce remix is a constant requirement. However, word is out around RTP that there will be some layoffs locally.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant