Metra train delays on SouthWest Service line continue past PM rush hour due to freight train derailment
June 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Crews are still working on the city's South Side to repair tracks where a freight train derailed.
Metra's SouthWest Service between Chicago and suburban Orland Park and Manhattan continued to see delays Thursday night due to a freight train derailment Thursday afternoon.
The Norfolk Southern freight derailed just before noon on tracks that cross with Metra's SouthWest Line near 41st and Princeton.
Metra's evening rush was plagued with lengthy delays.
After 10 p.m., Metra issued alerts on the following trains:
Train #839, scheduled to depart Chicago at 9:50 p.m. and arrive 179th at 10:54 p.m., will be delayed in departure due to late arrival of equipment caused by a freight train derailment in the vicinity of 41st. Estimated time of delay may be upwards to 45 minutes. Metra will provide updated information as it becomes available.
Train #837, scheduled to depart Chicago at 8:10 p.m. and arrive 179th at 9:14 p.m., is on the move operating 65-75 minutes behind schedule due to late arrival of equipment caused by an earlier freight train delay.
Officials expect the morning rush to be normal, but suggest commuters check the website for any delays.For updates on the SouthWest Service Metra Line, riders can visit: http://metrarail.com/content/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/sws/map.html
For the latest Metra alerts, riders can visit: metrarail.com/metra/wap/en/home/service.html
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 19 min ago
- Brief warm-up followed by snow 18 min ago
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 16 min ago
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- GOP gubernatorial candidates hold last forum before primary
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
16 min ago
- 7 in 77
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
19 min ago