Young builders show off creations at San Mateo Co. Fair
SAN MATEO, Calif. -- When the county fair is at the edge of the Silicon Valley, it takes on a whole new identity. It's not just the future farmers of America showing off their work at the San Mateo County Fair this week; the future tinkers, builders and programmers are there too.
The people who run the fair will tell you that what the kids building robots are doing actually isn't that different from the kids who are raising livestock. Growth and innovation is really what the fair has always been about.
"The fair has always been about bringing new technology to communities," San Mateo County Fair Technology Department Director Gabriel Colaluca said. "They introduced new tractors and new combines back in the day, and now it's new computers and new digital printers."
The technology exhibits have doubled in size every year, but don't think they'll edge out the animals. Whether it chews through batteries, or chews its cud, there's always a place for it at the fair.
san mateo county, peninsula news, jonathan bloom
- 5 kids shot in Greater Grand Crossing drive-by 6 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 13 min ago
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout