Walmart hostage situation leaves suspect fatally shot, 2-year-old unharmed
July 2, 2013 (WLS) -- A horrifying hostage situation unfolded at a grocery store in Oklahoma.
A mother had just turned away when a stranger pulled her 2-year-old daughter out of their shopping cart.
Witnesses called 9-1-1 as the man held a knife to the child. One shopper blocked the man with his cart until police arrived.
Police tried to negotiate, but the man suddenly started a countdown. That's when one officer distracted him, while another fired a single deadly shot.
The incident was shown on surveillance video.
The little girl was not physically harmed.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie apartment residents 4 min ago
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum 14 min ago
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie...
4 min ago
- Chicago remembers radio legend Larry Lujack
52 min ago