Walmart hostage situation leaves suspect fatally shot, 2-year-old unharmed
July 2, 2013 (WLS) -- A horrifying hostage situation unfolded at a grocery store in Oklahoma.
A mother had just turned away when a stranger pulled her 2-year-old daughter out of their shopping cart.
Witnesses called 9-1-1 as the man held a knife to the child. One shopper blocked the man with his cart until police arrived.
Police tried to negotiate, but the man suddenly started a countdown. That's when one officer distracted him, while another fired a single deadly shot.
The incident was shown on surveillance video.
The little girl was not physically harmed.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase; 2nd carjacking... 7 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- 7 in :77
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25...
7 min ago