Driver dies after car plunges off South Bend overpass
July 8, 2013 (SOUTH BEND, Ind.) -- Northern Indiana police say a man died after his car flipped on a railroad overpass and plunged onto the tracks below.
Police say 53-year-old Michael J. Strantz died in Sunday night's crash in South Bend.
Investigators say Strantz' car was heading south on a city street when it took out a fence on the top of the bridge and then fell onto the tracks below.
A train was coming at the time, but the conductor was able to stop in time and call for help.
Police don't yet know what caused the car to leave the road. Investigators are looking for witnesses who may have seen the car go off the road.
South Bend Sgt. Bill Kraus tells WSBT-TV that the deadly incident is "an unusual one."
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines reports plane missing 2 min ago
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North 59 min ago
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 18 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD 24 min ago