Five people shot to death in 6 days in Gary, Indiana
July 12, 2013 (GARY, Ind.) (WLS) -- It was a violent and deadly week in a Northwest Indiana city; over the last 6 days, 5 people have been shot to death.
Among the victims, a young man on the job at a hot dog restaurant and a teenager sitting in the backseat of a car. The latest shooting happened just last night.
This is all going on in Gary, Indiana, where the murder rate is up over last year at this time.
The family and friends of Anthony Green, Jr. are relying on their faith to help them make sense of his death.
The 24-year old was murdered Thursday night around 6 p.m. outside the Gary, Indiana hot dog restaurant he managed for a relative. Witnesses say Green was sitting outside Chicago Style Polish talking with his two young nieces when an attacker shot him in the head. Green died at the scene. It is still unclear what led to the attack.
Investigators did question three people seen leaving the area after the shooting, but are not calling them suspects.
Green's death comes less than 24 hours after another shooting claimed the life of 17-year old Joshua Passmore.
Authorities say the high school senior was shot Wednesday overnight just a few blocks from his home.
He was a back seat passenger in a friend's car who had stopped to get gas. The business had been the scene of at least two other prior homicides. Officials say robbery was not a motive in either crime.
The two shooting deaths push the number of homicides in the city to 27, ten more than last year at this time, causing some residents to be concerned than ever about the violence.
indiana news, evelyn holmes
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 19 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist 37 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover 34 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case 36 min ago
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- Ugly Christmas sweater store pops up in...
15 min ago
- Chicago artist created pope's image for...
34 min ago