Chicago gas prices rising fast, hit drivers with 27-cent increase over last week
July 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- In Illinois, gas prices have jumped 25 cents for a gallon of regular unleaded in the last week, and in the Chicago metro area, 27 cents. A gallon of gas will now cost Chicago drivers, on average, $4.11.
Brian Samocki fills his pack with pork sandwiches, and then he's off. It's the life of a food delivery guy: back and forth between restaurants and customer's homes. They go through a lot of gas, and when prices spike as they have in the last week or two, it affects the bottom line.
"With what I make, it hurts a little," said Samocki, delivery driver, DeliveryMyGrub.com.
"Makes it a challenge, affects their bottom line, our own as well," said Jimmy Griggs, DeliverMyGrub.com
Gas prices have spiked up dramatically in the last week in the Chicago area and experts are predicting the price will continue to rise for the foreseeable future. They say instability in Egypt is one contributing factor. On Capitol Hill Tuesday, the head of AAA broke the news to senators.
That's despite a dramatic increase in domestic oil prediction in recent years. Five years ago, the U.S. produced 3.9 million barrels a day. This year, the number is nearly twice that amount, and drivers have taken notice.
"When I use premium gas prices, that's when I really feel the pinch in my pocket," said driver Meghann Rivera.
Updated gas prices around the country pop up constantly on Patrick Dehaan's computer. His website, GasBuddy.com, identifies the lowest priced gas in any given area.
"The more volatile prices become, the more people log on, look to save," said DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst, GasBuddy.com.
For more information on gas prices in your area, visit: www.gasbuddy.com
local, john garcia
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain 1 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault 34 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 2 min ago
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia 5 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
2 min ago
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing...
1 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
34 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40...
27 min ago