Giant magnet makes arduous trip to Fermilab in Batavia
July 19, 2013 (WLS) -- It's been a slow, month-long trip because the 50-foot magnet cannot be taken apart.
It's been a slow, month-long trip because the 50-foot magnet cannot be taken apart. Twisting or tilting it more than a few degrees could cause irreparable damage.
So it's being moved by truck and barge from New York to Fermilab in suburban Batavia.
If all goes as planned, it will arrive in Lemont on Saturday.
Then, it will be moved by truck over the course of several nights to Batavia.
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 25 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash 11 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 47 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster 10 min ago
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Signs of spring under blanket of snow
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
11 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
47 min ago
- Festival Fridays
50 min ago