Metra BNSF train strikes, kills pedestrian in Naperville
July 26, 2013 (NAPERVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A Metra BNSF train struck and killed a person near Columbia Avenue in west suburban Naperville, the DuPage County Coroner said Friday evening.
According to the Metra website, inbound and outbound trains are on the move and approaching the Naperville area slowly as of 8 p.m. Friday.
BNSF train No. 1279 struck a pedestrian at Columbia Avenue in Naperville about 6:30 p.m., Metra spokesman Michael Gillis said.
The train left Union Station and 5:49 p.m. and struck the pedestrian just east of the Naperville station, where the train was not scheduled to stop, Gillis said.
Information about the person struck was not immediately available.
The train was scheduled to arrive in Aurora at 6:40 p.m., but remained stopped at 8 p.m. for a police investigation, Gillis said.
At least eight other BNSF trains have been delayed up to 95 minutes because they cannot pass during the police investigation.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
metra news, dupage county, local
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout