Ryan Harris picnic honors girl sexually assaulted, killed in 1998
July 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A picnic was held in the Englewood neighborhood Sunday to honor the memory of Ryan Harris, the 11-year-old girl who was sexually assaulted and murdered in 1998.
Harris's body was left in an abandoned lot.
Seven-year-old and 8-year-old boys were charged, but prosecutors later realized they had made a mistake. A 29-year-old man was later convicted of the crime.
Sunday's picnic was held at Ryan Harris Memorial Park at 67th Street and Lowe and included a balloon release.
Two months ago, a relative of Ryan Harris was killed at that park in a random shooting. On Sunday, family and friends remembered both Harris and 30-year-old Shaneda Lawrence.
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody... 54 min ago
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand