Ryan Harris picnic honors girl sexually assaulted, killed in 1998
July 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A picnic was held in the Englewood neighborhood Sunday to honor the memory of Ryan Harris, the 11-year-old girl who was sexually assaulted and murdered in 1998.
Harris's body was left in an abandoned lot.
Seven-year-old and 8-year-old boys were charged, but prosecutors later realized they had made a mistake. A 29-year-old man was later convicted of the crime.
Sunday's picnic was held at Ryan Harris Memorial Park at 67th Street and Lowe and included a balloon release.
Two months ago, a relative of Ryan Harris was killed at that park in a random shooting. On Sunday, family and friends remembered both Harris and 30-year-old Shaneda Lawrence.
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas
- Autopsy on body found near where woman last seen
- Ice jams on Rock River force evacuations
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- 'Louder Than A Bomb' Poetry Slam 7 min ago
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt... 19 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Family Party
42 min ago