Missing swimmer found after Lake Michigan search in Winnetka
August 4, 2013 (WINNETKA, Ill.) (WLS) -- Emergency workers were able to rescue a struggling swimmer in Lake Michigan Sunday morning.
It happened near Tower Road Beach in Winnetka.
The man, wearing a swim cap and goggles, was pulled from the water by a rescue boat.
He had been swimming with a group and became separated. The other swimmers tried to find him and when they couldn't they called authorities.
"We had wave runners, boats, in the water, we had the Coast Guard all responding, while they were looking for him," said Winnetka Fire Deputy Fire Chief John Ripka. "Fortunately he was spotted from an officer from the shore who was able to alert the boat operator from Glencoe who was able to go over and pick him up."
The swimmer had been in the lake for about an hour and 45 minutes.
He'd been treading water and fighting waves and was tired but didn't require medical attention.
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines reports plane missing 6 min ago
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 22 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD 28 min ago