San Francisco News
SF Fountain Lady Ruth Asawa dies at 87
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco's 'Fountain Lady' Ruth Asawa has died at the age of 87.
The Japanese-American sculptor was known for her iconic works like her mermaid fountain in Ghirardelli Square and the bronze fountain at Union Square, which became part of a controversy when Apple announced it wanted to move it to expand its super-store.
Asawa co-founded an art program in 50 public San Francisco schools and founded the San Francisco High School of Arts.
In 2010, the school was renamed to the Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts
union square, san francisco news
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 48 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
24 min ago