I-94 NB lanes shut down near Wadsworth due to multi-vehicle fiery crash
August 16, 2013 (WLS) -- A fiery multi-vehicle accident in the northbound lanes of I-94 shut down both traffic in both directions near Wadsworth, but the southbound lanes have since been reopened.
A number of vehicles, including several semis are involved. The accident occurred in the northbound lanes, where at least one semi burst into flames.
Officials say a box truck blew a tire while traveling in the northbound lane of I-94, lost control and sideswiped a semi-truck. The semi-truck hit the center wall and light pole, which fell across the southbound lanes of I-94 and struck three vehicles in the opposite lanes.The semi-truck burst into flames, but the fire has since been extinguished.
Traffic is backed up in both directions as officials attempt to detour traffic around the accident. Officials expect the northbound lanes to remain closed for some time as they continue to clear debris.
Only minor injuries have been reported, police say.
Stay tuned to ABC7 at 4 p.m. for more on this developing story.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples 17 min ago
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos