Jones College Prep new building ribbon cutting to be attended by Rahm Emanuel
August 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel was scheduled to cut the ribbon at the newly renovated Jones College Prep high school.
An artist's rendering shows how the new school in the 600 and 700-blocks of South State Street will look.
The renovated school will nearly double the number of students admitted to the nationally ranked school to a total of 1,700 by 2016.
Approximately 11,000 students applied to Jones for this school year. To help meet that kind of demand, Mayor Emanuel announced in January that not only would the old Jones building stay open, but the freshmen class would be enlarged each year for the next four years.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet 36 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All