David Cassidy arresting officer Tom Jones didn't know who star was
August 22, 2013 (SCHODACK, N.Y.) -- The Schodack Police Department says they arrested former teen idol David Cassidy in New York for felony driving while intoxicated early Wednesday morning.
Schodack Police Officer Tom Jones was conducting a Stop-DWI enforcement detail when he stopped Cassidy, 63, of Fort Lauderdale, on the Columbia Turnpike near Miller Road around 2 a.m. Wednesday.
Cassidy had a BAC of .10 percent and has been charged with felony DWI and failure to dim headlights. He was arraigned in the town of Schodack Justice Court and taken to Rensselaer County Jail where he posted $2,500 bail Wednesday morning.
The Chief of Police Bernhard Peter says Officer Jones was too young to know who Cassidy is. He says Cassidy was driving a rental car, visiting friends with his fiancee, and his fiancee wasn't drunk, so she drove away with the car after his arrest.
The police chief says Cassidy "cooperated and was a gentleman."
Cassidy is best known for his role as the character of Keith Partridge in the 1970's musical/sitcom "The Partridge Family." He is known for frequenting the Saratoga Race Course each summer.
Cassidy was previously arrested for DUI in Florida in 2010, making this recent arrest a felony charge.
He is scheduled to return to town court in September.
Police Lt. Joseph Belardo says Cassidy was stopped shortly after 12 a.m. Wednesday about 10 miles south of Albany.
Cassidy's publicist had no immediate comment.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport 50 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 56 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery 6 min ago
- Flight from O'Hare slides off STL taxiway 23 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial draws Obama to South Africa
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Rod Blagojevich arrest marks 5th anniversary
- Computer science to become CPS core subject
- Police: Evanston drug deal might have led to armed robbery
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- 'Frozen' takes top box office spot with $31.6M
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
56 min ago
- ABC7 To Go, December 9, 2013
27 min ago
- Happy Ditka Day! 'Da Coach' jersey to be...
59 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos