Off-duty Chicago cop fights off attacker on Sauganash running path
August 29, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An off-duty Chicago police officer fought off a man who tried to sexually assault her. The attack happened in the middle of the afternoon when the woman was jogging near Bryn Mawr and Kostner in the Sauganash neighborhood.
The attack happened around 2:45 p.m. Thursday afternoon on a dirt running path on the Northwest Side. The man rode up on his bicycle alongside the woman and tried to take her down. He likely had no idea the woman he was trying to assault was an off-duty Chicago police officer. The Sauganash neighborhood is home to hundreds of Chicago's men and women in blue.
"This is the first time I've heard of something this severe happening, where someone was actually attacked. I walk my dog all the time, and for me it's a big concern because I did feel safe here walking my dog," said Julie Iverson, Sauganash resident.
"Everyone feels safe living here, there's cops living here, there's firefighters living here, there's great families, great people," said Kerry Zeman, Sauganash resident.
The woman fought back with such force that hospitals are one of the places police say they are looking for the attacker. A witness said that realizing he was no match for the woman, the attacker allegedly sped off on his bike.
Police say the off-duty police officer was treated at a local hospital for minor injuries and released. Police continue to search for the suspect.
local, ben bradley
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman 29 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD