Youth soccer team to play in World Final
September 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A group of young soccer players from Chicago are about to take part in a major athletic event after winning the national soccer competition in May at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
They are now headed to the Danone Nations Cup World Final in England. The tournament attracts tens of thousands spectators and the team from Chicago is ready to go.
On the field at Cornerstone Park in West Chicago, the Chicago Magic soccer team practices together for the last time and prepares for some of the biggest games of their lives.
"I don't think any Chicago team this age ever went to international finals like this," said manager Charlie Lang. "Not only is it nice for this team it's a shout out for Chicago soccer in general, one think we realized is Chicago soccer is at the top of the united states there is no question about it."
This team of 12-year-old boys is not only traveling to England to represent the city of Chicago, but the USA.
"Not every day you can play tournaments like that you know, international, and go for the country, I think everybody's happy," said coach Moises Alarcon.
Thirty-two countries will be represented at the tournament.
The Chicago Magic team will head to London this Tuesday to play a series of games against international players. The pressure is on.
But you'd never know it by talking to the players.
"We're a good team, and we can beat everyone over there," said Nicholas Slonina.
Their plan is to turn off the hype and play the game they love.
"Just gotta focus on the game play with the ball and play with your teammates you gotta ignore all the excitement going on when you score," said Lucian Lang.
And their love and dedication will bring them home winners.
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag 29 min ago
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault 32 min ago
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing 19 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett 19 min ago
- Man who killed Kankakee doctor gets life in prison 33 min ago
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Carl Sandburg H.S. 'soft lockdown' lifted after arrests 9 min ago
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Truman College instructor accused of sexually assaulting former...
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- Chicago street repaving begins
10 min ago
- Microbead ban? Group says they impact...
6 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos