Youth soccer team to play in World Final
September 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A group of young soccer players from Chicago are about to take part in a major athletic event after winning the national soccer competition in May at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.
They are now headed to the Danone Nations Cup World Final in England. The tournament attracts tens of thousands spectators and the team from Chicago is ready to go.
On the field at Cornerstone Park in West Chicago, the Chicago Magic soccer team practices together for the last time and prepares for some of the biggest games of their lives.
"I don't think any Chicago team this age ever went to international finals like this," said manager Charlie Lang. "Not only is it nice for this team it's a shout out for Chicago soccer in general, one think we realized is Chicago soccer is at the top of the united states there is no question about it."
This team of 12-year-old boys is not only traveling to England to represent the city of Chicago, but the USA.
"Not every day you can play tournaments like that you know, international, and go for the country, I think everybody's happy," said coach Moises Alarcon.
Thirty-two countries will be represented at the tournament.
The Chicago Magic team will head to London this Tuesday to play a series of games against international players. The pressure is on.
But you'd never know it by talking to the players.
"We're a good team, and we can beat everyone over there," said Nicholas Slonina.
Their plan is to turn off the hype and play the game they love.
"Just gotta focus on the game play with the ball and play with your teammates you gotta ignore all the excitement going on when you score," said Lucian Lang.
And their love and dedication will bring them home winners.
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Thousands gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine 1 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident 21 min ago
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- Proposed law on gun sentencing tweaked
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- Styrofoam product ban proposed in Chicago
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- Thousands gather at Our Lady of Guadalupe...
1 min ago