Burning body found in Castaic, California, where Bryce Laspisa went missing
September 4, 2013 (CASTAIC, Calif.) -- Firefighters found a burning body in Castaic, Calif., the last place where missing 19-year-old Byrce Laspisa was believed to have been. The burned body has not been identified.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department responded to a spot fire off of Lake Hughes Road near Castaic Lake at about 6:15 a.m. When crews put out the flames, the body was discovered.
Police say a cyclist that was riding by saw the blaze and called deputies.
Detectives say the body is burned beyond recognition, and at this point, they don't know if it's a man or a woman.
The area is a remote section of Lake Hughes Road about a mile north of the visitor center, and officials are hoping there might be video that could help them.
Investigators are also looking to see if it could be 19-year-old Bryce Laspisa, a Naperville Central High School graduate who has been missing for several days. Laspisa was driving from Northern California back home to Orange County. He called his family around 2 a.m. on Friday, and about three hours later, his wrecked SUV was found near Castaic Lake. There was no sign of the young man.
local, carlos granda
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash 12 min ago
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight 57 min ago
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper 55 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago woman wins $14M settlement in Yasmin case 31 min ago
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Woman sues Four Seasons, claims injuries from massage
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake