Burning body found in Castaic, California, where Bryce Laspisa went missing
September 4, 2013 (CASTAIC, Calif.) -- Firefighters found a burning body in Castaic, Calif., the last place where missing 19-year-old Byrce Laspisa was believed to have been. The burned body has not been identified.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department responded to a spot fire off of Lake Hughes Road near Castaic Lake at about 6:15 a.m. When crews put out the flames, the body was discovered.
Police say a cyclist that was riding by saw the blaze and called deputies.
Detectives say the body is burned beyond recognition, and at this point, they don't know if it's a man or a woman.
The area is a remote section of Lake Hughes Road about a mile north of the visitor center, and officials are hoping there might be video that could help them.
Investigators are also looking to see if it could be 19-year-old Bryce Laspisa, a Naperville Central High School graduate who has been missing for several days. Laspisa was driving from Northern California back home to Orange County. He called his family around 2 a.m. on Friday, and about three hours later, his wrecked SUV was found near Castaic Lake. There was no sign of the young man.
local, carlos granda
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos