Burning body found in Castaic, California, where Bryce Laspisa went missing
September 4, 2013 (CASTAIC, Calif.) -- Firefighters found a burning body in Castaic, Calif., the last place where missing 19-year-old Byrce Laspisa was believed to have been. The burned body has not been identified.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department responded to a spot fire off of Lake Hughes Road near Castaic Lake at about 6:15 a.m. When crews put out the flames, the body was discovered.
Police say a cyclist that was riding by saw the blaze and called deputies.
Detectives say the body is burned beyond recognition, and at this point, they don't know if it's a man or a woman.
The area is a remote section of Lake Hughes Road about a mile north of the visitor center, and officials are hoping there might be video that could help them.
Investigators are also looking to see if it could be 19-year-old Bryce Laspisa, a Naperville Central High School graduate who has been missing for several days. Laspisa was driving from Northern California back home to Orange County. He called his family around 2 a.m. on Friday, and about three hours later, his wrecked SUV was found near Castaic Lake. There was no sign of the young man.
local, carlos granda
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap