Don Wade, of WLS' 'Don Wade and Roma' radio show, dies at 72
September 9, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Don Wade, a Chicago radio legend, has died after a yearlong battle with brain cancer.
His death came Friday but was just announced Sunday. Wade died in Florida with his wife, Roma, at his side. Wade had a 55-year career in broadcasting, including 27 years in Chicago at WLS. During that career, his work ranged from comedy to rock and roll DJ.
At WLS, Wade and his wife Roma began hosting their long-running morning talk show in 1989. The team interviewed politicians and turned the microphone over to former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who served as a guest host after his impeachment.
On Sunday night, Roma issued a statement saying, "We had a lifetime of blessings together and one of the very best was sharing our thoughts, our family, our joys and sorrows with you, our radio family. You meant the world to us."
Don Wade was 72.
"As a city, we are saddened to hear of the passing of Don Wade. For nearly three decades, Don entertained and enlightened his listeners and the lifetime of contributions he made to our city will be truly missed. Don's zeal for his job was matched only by his love for his wife Roma and though his voice has fallen silent, his influence will echo on in Chicago for years to come," said Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
In December, the couple gave up their radio show to focus on Wade's health. WLS radio host Roe Conn told the Chicago Sun-Times that Wade was "one of the first guys to do conservative talk with a heart."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 54 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines reports plane missing 19 min ago
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North 15 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
54 min ago