Evanston shooting near high school kills man, 21
September 11, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Evanston police say they are investigating the shooting death of a 21-year-old man one block away from Evanston Township High School.
Investigators found the man, Cardereon Preister, around 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 1700-block of Leland Avenue.
Evanston police say they are trying to locate witnesses and are looking at surveillance footage in the area.
Priester was shot once in the upper torso from behind just feet away from his grandparents' home.
According to police, Priester has a history of burglary and drug offenses and was known to associate with gang members.
Authorities say they shooting is in no way tied to Evanston Township; it just happened very close to the school.
One neighbor said she heard a single gunshot.
" It's something that we don't normally hear in the neighborhood. So, we just kind of didn't pay it any attention --thought maybe it wasn't that. Then, about 30 minutes later, we heard someone saying, 'Oh no.' So, I said, 'Well, something's going on outside. We got up, and we saw the police. They had the caution tape up," Tina Dillard said.
The last murder in Evanston happened in August. Authorities found two brothers dead in the basement of their Davis street tobacco shop. Police have not ruled out robbery on that case and no one is in custody in that double-murder.
In this case, Evanston police say they are hoping to receive tips from the public.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 40 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 3 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- 2 kids who died with dad in I-65 crash ID'd 56 min ago
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says 34 min ago
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77