Evanston shooting near high school kills man, 21
September 11, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Evanston police say they are investigating the shooting death of a 21-year-old man one block away from Evanston Township High School.
Investigators found the man, Cardereon Preister, around 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 1700-block of Leland Avenue.
Evanston police say they are trying to locate witnesses and are looking at surveillance footage in the area.
Priester was shot once in the upper torso from behind just feet away from his grandparents' home.
According to police, Priester has a history of burglary and drug offenses and was known to associate with gang members.
Authorities say they shooting is in no way tied to Evanston Township; it just happened very close to the school.
One neighbor said she heard a single gunshot.
" It's something that we don't normally hear in the neighborhood. So, we just kind of didn't pay it any attention --thought maybe it wasn't that. Then, about 30 minutes later, we heard someone saying, 'Oh no.' So, I said, 'Well, something's going on outside. We got up, and we saw the police. They had the caution tape up," Tina Dillard said.
The last murder in Evanston happened in August. Authorities found two brothers dead in the basement of their Davis street tobacco shop. Police have not ruled out robbery on that case and no one is in custody in that double-murder.
In this case, Evanston police say they are hoping to receive tips from the public.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Chicago police officer shot on South Side
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Sheriff Dart facing opposition from own party
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Mobile payment option for metered parking
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds