Stanley Cup Millennium Park event lets fans take pictures
September 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some Chicago Blackhawks fans liken it to a religious experience -- the meeting of Lord Stanley's Cup, and spending a few moments alone with it.
"That was awesome!" James Henderson said.
Henderson was one of hundreds of Hawks fans who lined up to see the Stanley Cup at Millennium Park in downtown Chicago on Wednesday.
"We did this in 2010 on Daley Plaza in the summer and we had folks drive in from Rockford, Springfield, Peoria all over the Midwest," David Kennedy, Chicago Cultural Affairs and Special Events, said.
Many fans were at Millennium Park were there before the sun came up. Dan Baker arrived at 5 a.m. with his two daughters.
"This is my one wish before I die, just to get a picture with the Stanley Cup. So this will be going up on the living room wall," Dan Baker said.
Ed Stryczuk drove from Montgomery, Ill.
"Being a hockey fan and playing hockey, I mean, as a kid you always dream about being next to the Stanley cup or being with the Stanley cup, so just to be there and be next to it is just the thrill of a lifetime," Stryczuk said.
Sandy Clark is still celebrating the Blackhawks win.
"I think that Chicago is alive with that all summer long," she said. "Chicago likes championships.
Millions turned out to watch the 2013 Stanley cup champion Blackhawks parade and rally through downtown on June 28, 2013.
chicago news, jessica d'onofrio
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 6 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby 12 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school 9 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Fatally shot alleged robber suspected in Harvey cop shooting
- No re-trial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs 20 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Chicago airports rank poorly for on-time departures 56 min ago
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to...
9 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
6 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
12 min ago