Magic Johnson overcome by emotion at Bridgescape Academy dedication
September 18, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Earvin "Magic" Johnson launched a school in Chicago to help at-risk kids. At the dedication Wednesday, the basketball legend was overcome by emotion.
"God is good," said Johnson.
The Magic Johnson Bridgescape Academy is designed to give young people an alternate path to learning.
Governor Pat Quinn and rapper and actor Common were there for the ceremony.
The academies are operating in six states.
The goal is to bring together individuals, foundations and companies to help kids through school and into the real world.
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos