Cop accused of kicking handcuffed suspect in the head
HOUSTON -- A Houston police officer is accused of using excessive force and now his job is on the line. A suspect says he was kicked in the face by that officer, and he actually has another police officer backing up those claims.
Officer Garrett Lindley faces a misdemeanor charge of official oppression. He was indicted by a grand jury for what allegedly occurred at HPD's jail at central patrol and now he's fighting for his job.
He refused to talk to Eyewitness News as he left an arbitration hearing Monday afternoon. He was placed on indefinite suspension by the police department in July and now has been indicted by a grand jury. He stands accused of official oppression.
Nicole DeBorde, Lindley's attorney, said, ""Yes, he (denies kicking that person.) He didn't hurt anyone. He was trying to help fellow officers and that's it."
Eric Faltesek was under arrest for DWI in January. He'd refused a breathalyzer test and was ignoring officer commands in a room at 61 Riesner. Police say they were trying to get his fingerprint on a warrant so that they could properly document a blood draw. Officer Jorge Roman says that's when Faltesek became combative.
Roman says Faltesek ended up on the ground, still handcuffed to the bench. Roman was trying to subdue him when he says Lindley kicked Faltesek in the face.
Faltesek says he was on his knees and defenseless, describing the kick as a "stomping motion."
"I got kicked in the mouth and that's where the blood came out," he testified. "Y'all's officers think they can treat anybody any way they want."
The alleged assault was reported not by Faltesek, but by that other officer who was arresting him.
Faltesek was convicted of the DWI and served 75 days in jail.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, kevin quinn
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff 16 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance, goes before judges 23 min ago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake 11 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to student sex assault 14 min ago
- Brutal cold continues; more snow coming 11 min ago
- Admitted Chicago terrorist's 'hate mail'
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Kanye West likens job to police work; Ohio chief disagrees 49 min ago
- Affluenza defense nets Ethan Couch probation
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- 7 in :77
19 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington...
16 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance,...
23 min ago