Chicago Weather: Rain, snow mix follows 1st freeze
October 21, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago weather is getting downright wintry with rain, snow and mix of the two following the first freeze of the season.
A freeze warning is in effect for most of the area overnight beginning at 1 a.m., and that's just the beginning. The area may get a wintry mix of rain and snow. Jerry Taft promises it won't amount to much but it does signal the start of a new season.
Winter has crept up on many of us, but it's not too late to prepare for a change of seasons.
"I have a jacket and three shirts, I'm freezing, it's so cold out," said Allie Lefevere, bundled up.
The cold weather is here, and people are bundling up and turning up the thermostat for some warmth. But some are not so lucky.
"I came home and waited for the heat, never got any. It was kind of a rude awakening," said Josh Gordon, homeowner.
It's been a busy day for Mister Duct technician Anthony Perez.
"We're getting busy. It's normal for this time of year," said Anthony Perez, technician.
Because many people are turning the heat on for the first time this year, they're experiencing furnace problems.
To keep things efficient before it gets too cold, Perez recommends changing the filter, and cleaning any dust in the unit.
"Dust is a big factor with a furnace not operating properly," said Perez.
And most importantly, you should make sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector, the Chicago Fire Department confirms.
"If you have a boiler or a furnace, at least once a year get it checked. Have a professional come and make sure the flue is clear, make sure there are no gas leaks. If you find that the detector keeps going off, call the fire department and call a professional," said Larry Langford, spokesman, Chicago Fire Department.
So while we turn up the heat, cold weather lovers learn to deal with it in other ways.
"That's alright, I'll deal with it. If I get to cold I'll use another blanket," said Ted Zeidel, who enjoys the cold weather.
weather, diane pathieu
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by
- Woman killed in West Side hit-and-run
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash 1 min ago
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 11 min ago
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77