Antioch Murders: No bond for Billy Varner in murders of wife, Peggy Henderson, and his mother, Dorothy Varner
November 5, 2013 (WAUKEGAN, Ill.) (WLS) -- Bill Varner told police he used a machete to kill his wife, Peggy Henderson, 61, inside the bedroom of their Antioch home, where her body stayed for two days before his mother got suspicious. Then he killed her, too, police said.
Varner, 54, made a full confession, prosecutors said, to killing Henderson and his mother, Dorothy Varner, 82. He faces first-degree murder charges in the deaths of his wife and mother, and was ordered held without bond at Lake County Courthouse on Tuesday.
"The nature of this case indicates that he does pose a very significant threat to the people of Lake County, " Lake County State's Attorney Mike Nerheim said.
The offender killed Henderson on October 26, prosecutors said.
"His wife went into the bedroom to go to sleep. The defendant heard her wheezing. He then proceeded to take a machete and strike her about the face with the machete, almost decapitating her," Nerheim said.
For two days, Varner told his mother and brother that Henderson had a headache, prosecutors said. When Dorothy Varner became suspicious, Billy Varner allegedly used a plastic bag and towel to suffocate his mother as she played solitaire in the kitchen.
Varner's brother found their mother's body and called police, who discovered both bodies on October 28. An alert was issued for Billy Varner, who allegedly stole his brother's van and fled. He allegedly robbed a Catholic church with a shotgun November 3 in Williston, North Dakota. No one was injured at the church and he was captured soon after.
The judge said he considers Varner a threat and flight risk.
"Just kind of had me worried for a little while. He was on the loose, and I'm really, I'm glad they caught him," Eric Kosowsky said.
"It's really good that he is gone, that he's off the streets and not gonna hurt anybody else," Amanda Erickson said.
local, leah hope
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash 11 min ago
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight 56 min ago
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper 54 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago woman wins $14M settlement in Yasmin case 30 min ago
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Woman sues Four Seasons, claims injuries from massage
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake