Richard Calica, ex-DCFS director, dies of cancer
December 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Richard Calica, the former director of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, has died.
Calica led the department from December 2011 until last month. He resigned after being diagnosed with cancer.
Under Calica's leadership, DCFS reduced investigator caseloads and the number of backlogged cases.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn released a statement expressing his condolences. He called Calica "a true public servant and a dedicated advocate for our most vulnerable children."
- Chicago River dyeing a St. Patrick's Day tradition 11 min ago
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million 54 min ago
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...