Sears on State Street in Chicago Loop to close
January 21, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Sears store on State Street in Chicago's Loop will close in April, according to the company.
A liquidation sale at the store, 2 N. State Street, begins on January 26.
Sears released a statement that read, in part: These decisions are never easy. But the store has lost millions of dollars since opening and we can no longer continue to support the store's operating losses.
About 160 people work at the Sears State Street store; most are part-time. According to a statement, some workers who qualify will get severance and the opportunity to apply for open jobs at other Sears or Kmart stores.
The company said the closing is part of a plan to adjust its business model.
The State Street Sears store opened in 2001.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes 41 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 46 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing 1 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
46 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park...
41 min ago