Sears on State Street in Chicago Loop to close
January 21, 2014 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Sears store on State Street in Chicago's Loop will close in April, according to the company.
A liquidation sale at the store, 2 N. State Street, begins on January 26.
Sears released a statement that read, in part: These decisions are never easy. But the store has lost millions of dollars since opening and we can no longer continue to support the store's operating losses.
About 160 people work at the Sears State Street store; most are part-time. According to a statement, some workers who qualify will get severance and the opportunity to apply for open jobs at other Sears or Kmart stores.
The company said the closing is part of a plan to adjust its business model.
The State Street Sears store opened in 2001.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet 2 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment 35 min ago
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly 34 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All